Tuesday 27 May 2014

Senegalese Twists for my Protective Style



Hi all

Senegalese twists are great style to use to give your hair a break from daily styling. I’ve worn Senegalese for a while but last had them in sometime last year and I’ve enjoyed the hairstyle the times I have worn it. Before you take the plunge and get some installed, there are a few things that you need to know about how to prep for and care for Senegalese twists.
How I prepped my Hair for Senegalese Twists
  • Conditioned hair
My hair is going to be contained in the twists for several weeks, hoping 6 -8 weeks max so it was important that i conditioned  it well before styling. I like to make sure that my hair has a good balance between protein for strength and moisture. Moisture is especially important because the synthetic hair that is used for the twists can rob your hair of precious moisture.
One week before I got the twists installed, I did a protein treatment. If you are having severe breakage, consider Aphogee’s Two-Step Protein Treatment. I opted for a lighter protein treatment like Aphogee’s Two-Minute Protein Treatment. After the protein treatment, I infused my hair with moisture for the week leading up to the install by co-washing my hair once and moisturizing frequently. For the wash right before I get my twists installed, I use a heavy moisturizing treatment Elasta qp DPR.  Also, after I blowdry my hair (more on that later), I moisturize and seal my hair a few hours to one day before the twists are installed.
  • Blowdry or Stretch Out Hair
Senegalese twists take some time to install. (Mine took about 5 hours.) In order to make the process move faster, the braider grabs pieces of hair quickly. If your hair is curly, or if you have curly roots, your hair may break if they have to comb through it or untangle it. You definitely don’t want to wait until you get to the salon to get it blow dried by the braiders. They will not care for your hair as gently as you would care for it yourself. For that reason, I always blowdry my hair straight before an install. To minimize the possibility of damage, I let my hair airdry about 80%, then apply a heat protectant, then I blowdry my hair in sections.
If you are strongly opposed to using heat at all, don’t worry. You can stretch out your natural hair with braiding or banding. You could rollerset it on large rollers and let it airdry, then wrap it. For relaxed hair, you can wet wrap your hair. Just remember to do this well before your braiding appointment! Wet hair can take many, many hours to dry.
  • After all of that is done, I make sure to moisturize and seal my hair one day, or even up to a few hours before an install. For a job like this, non-greasy moisturizer is in order. I use Elasta QP Olive Oil and Mango butter Moisturizer. Remember to seal lightly. You don’t want you hair to be slippery or weighed down with grease I used a bit of Jojoba oil. I keep my scalp clean, but if yours feels dry, you can massage it with a small amount of oil. These steps can be tedious, but if the health of your hair is important, then they are necessary. I also added edge control and slickened my edges down before telling my braider to stay away from your edges, so new there was a barrier right there.
Though after the twists were done I massaged a little bit of coconut oil on my scalp to soothe the mild tightness that I was feeling, am also in the Hairlista coconut oil challenge hope I can keep up with it since I am already in 2 other challenges. Better to try for healthy hair results. Two months I hope and this will also help me stretch my relaxer till my next one is due.

I will do a post on how to wash and deep condition with Senegalese twists/box braids

P.S you can see pics in protective style pics : http://curlyeva.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_24.html

laters
Curly Eva...xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Next relaxer day.....